Go Back   Stand Up! Fray > Standing room only > Religion Forum

Religion Forum It can be an interesting and sometimes heated debate. Let's see how level headed we can be when we discuss this.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Logic from corn.

Thanked 11,936 Times in 6,565 Posts
Nominated 112 Times in 82 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 24
Groans: 80
Groaned at 130 Times in 126 Posts
Iowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Iowa Auto Guy
Default Gingrich: Sleeping with the Enemy?

I just realized that Gingy is married to a woman named in honor of another religion. Calysta being the nymph daughter of Triton.

I dont care, i just think it is amusing for such a self-identified hard core christian conservative to be married to someone named for a figure in another religion.

"Whether or not what you do has the effect you want, it will have three at least you never expected, and one of those usually unpleasant."
-Siuan from Wheel of Time

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it... Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
-Kay from Men in Black
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iowa Auto Guy For This Useful Post:
FliesOnly (02-29-2012), Indiana_April (02-29-2012), signcutter (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Resistance is Futile.

Thanked 8,740 Times in 4,849 Posts
Nominated 99 Times in 65 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Groans: 31
Groaned at 181 Times in 155 Posts
Tritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond repute
Tritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond reputeTritium has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Tritium

I believe Gingrich became a Catholic because of his wife. (Which is funny, because the Catholic church isn't supposed to marry people who have previously been married, unless that spouse died.) Gingrich does what benefits him. He'll tell people what they want to hear, and he'll convert his religion if he gets sex out of it.

Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men;
John Adams
Thoughts on Government, 1776
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. ~ George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tritium For This Useful Post:
Iowa Auto Guy (02-29-2012), signcutter (02-29-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM
13th Hour Madman

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
PackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
I believe Gingrich became a Catholic because of his wife. (Which is funny, because the Catholic church isn't supposed to marry people who have previously been married, unless that spouse died.) Gingrich does what benefits him. He'll tell people what they want to hear, and he'll convert his religion if he gets sex out of it.
Not sure this is the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annulment

I was baptized Catholic at birth which I guess entitles me to be considered "Catholic" by the Church though I do not consider myself Catholic. I married my 3rd wife in a Catholic church as that is her religion and I find myself "between denominations" so wasn't adverse to agreeing to the ceremony.

I had to get the first two marriages annulled and then the wedding was allowed. I personally do not consider either of my marriages annulled but if that's what I had to do in order to qualify for the ceremony that was fine by me.

Anyway just a little insight such as it is.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Seņor Gibberish!

Thanked 1,300 Times in 637 Posts
Nominated 15 Times in 13 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
BubnTX has a reputation beyond repute
BubnTX has a reputation beyond reputeBubnTX has a reputation beyond reputeBubnTX has a reputation beyond reputeBubnTX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Auto Guy View Post
I just realized that Gingy is married to a woman named in honor of another religion. Calysta being the nymph daughter of Triton.

I dont care, i just think it is amusing for such a self-identified hard core christian conservative to be married to someone named for a figure in another religion.

So what...Gingrich sounds like something having to do with an anus and a blunt instrument. Does that mean his wife is sleeping with the proctologist?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Logic from corn.

Iowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa Auto Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubnTX View Post
So what...Gingrich sounds like something having to do with an anus and a blunt instrument. Does that mean his wife is sleeping with the proctologist?

???

I never said he WAS married to the actual mythological Calysta.

Nor did I reference what something sounded like.

Generally people honor their religion by choosing names from their own texts, not from texts they claim are heretical, wrong or evil.

It would be like a devout Christian marrying someone whos name honors something counter to Christianity, like "Pagan" or "Satan".

"Whether or not what you do has the effect you want, it will have three at least you never expected, and one of those usually unpleasant."

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it... Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
-Kay from Men in Black
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Skeptic

Nominated 3 Times in 3 Posts
Groans: 158
Groaned at 97 Times in 74 Posts
BubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaMorse has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to BubbaMorse Send a message via MSN to BubbaMorse

Iowa Auto Guy (06-10-2012), Lance in Manassas (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,284 Times in 1,928 Posts
Nominated 18 Times in 17 Posts
Groaned at 107 Times in 100 Posts
Lance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond repute
Lance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol, Piper, Trig, etc., etc. Palin.

Weirds me out actually.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Logic from corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMorse View Post
True, it was meant as a goofy curiousity.

Not sure why it got resurrected.

-Kay from Men in Black
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa Auto Guy For This Useful Post:
BubbaMorse (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM
13th Hour Madman

PackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond reputePackFanInChiTown has a reputation beyond repute

My fault, I'm a noob and need to pay more attention to the dates of posts before responding.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Logic from corn.

Nl need to apologize, sometimes we need to revisit threads/topics, and it can be much better to continue on in a thread rather than start a new one and make all of the same arguments over again.

Welcome to the Fray!

-Kay from Men in Black
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa Auto Guy For This Useful Post:
BubbaMorse (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
13th Hour Madman

Quote:
Nl need to apologize, sometimes we need to revisit threads/topics, and it can be much better to continue on in a thread rather than start a new one and make all of the same arguments over again.

Welcome to the Fray!
Thanks dude, looking forward to some great discussions.
Iowa Auto Guy (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Logic from corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFanInChiTown View Post
Thanks dude, looking forward to some great discussions.

You sure you're in the right place!

-Kay from Men in Black
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm liking this place

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
InvalidUsername has a reputation beyond reputeInvalidUsername has a reputation beyond reputeInvalidUsername has a reputation beyond reputeInvalidUsername has a reputation beyond reputeInvalidUsername has a reputation beyond reputeInvalidUsername has a reputation beyond reputeInvalidUsername has a reputation beyond reputeInvalidUsername has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure this is the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annulment

I was baptized Catholic at birth which I guess entitles me to be considered "Catholic" by the Church though I do not consider myself Catholic. I married my 3rd wife in a Catholic church as that is her religion and I find myself "between denominations" so wasn't adverse to agreeing to the ceremony.

I had to get the first two marriages annulled and then the wedding was allowed. I personally do not consider either of my marriages annulled but if that's what I had to do in order to qualify for the ceremony that was fine by me.

Anyway just a little insight such as it is.
Annulments were the only way the Catholic church would have been OK with the marriage. Otherwise, they wouldn't marry youas it would be viewed they are ma rrying an "adulterer" in a house of God. Unless the rules have changed since my mother remarried in the late 70s, an annulment also has an effect on your children in the eye of the church. if my mother annuled her first marriage that produced me, I would have also been "annuled" in the eyes of the church and could not receive confirmation, communion, etc etc etc.

I think Newty palmed a little cash to make them look the other way.
Tom Friedman, Meet the Press 09/06/09 "David, when everyone has a cell phone, everyone's a photographer. When everyone has access to YouTube, everyone's a filmmaker. And when everyone's a blogger, everyone's in newspaper. When everyone's a photographer, a newspaper and a filmmaker, everyone else is a public figure."

Don't forget that if you can spell the issue correctly, some news outlets will label you an "expert".
Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 PM
13th Hour Madman

Quote:
You sure you're in the right place!

Love Pete's show so certainly hope so, we'll know soon enough.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM
13th Hour Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Annulments were the only way the Catholic church would have been OK with the marriage. Otherwise, they wouldn't marry youas it would be viewed they are ma rrying an "adulterer" in a house of God. Unless the rules have changed since my mother remarried in the late 70s, an annulment also has an effect on your children in the eye of the church. if my mother annuled her first marriage that produced me, I would have also been "annuled" in the eyes of the church and could not receive confirmation, communion, etc etc etc.

I think Newty palmed a little cash to make them look the other way.
That's an interesting one. My parents divorced in 70 & my mom passed in 96; when my Dad married his new wife she wanted to get married Catholic so he had to have his marriage to my mother annulled. I guess that means I'm illegitimate now in the eyes of the Church?

Fortunately for me I don't really pay much attention to what the Catholic Church thinks...
Old 06-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Lance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond repute
Lance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond reputeLance in Manassas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's an interesting one. My parents divorced in 70 & my mom passed in 96; when my Dad married his new wife she wanted to get married Catholic so he had to have his marriage to my mother annulled. I guess that means I'm illegitimate now in the eyes of the Church?

Fortunately for me I don't really pay much attention to what the Catholic Church thinks...
God's true vicor on Earth?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
13th Hour Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance in Manassas View Post
God's true vicor on Earth?
Well that's what they claim anyway.

"Upon this rock I will build my church." Catholics believe this is referring to the Pope, Protestants believe Christ was talking about Faith in Him, not a person.

There's other scriptural arguments but that's the basic disagreement, especially in lieu of all the corruption and other crap that's happened in the Catholic church over the years.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Banned

Catholics think this refers to PETER, who went on to found the church in Rome.

Me, I wonder why we don't pay more attention to James, the Bishop of Jerusalem, and Jesus' brother (real, actual, same mother (and father) brother).

Same problem as with Islam I suppose. The buds beat out the bros everytime.

Same thing is happening with the legacy of Reagan. The members of his administration have more pull than his family. Just wait when Nancy dies and NO ONE will pay attention to his kids.